Sunday, January 17, 2010

Creole Kidney Beans and Rice




I was on a mission looking for Kidney Bean soup. So I got to my local exchange and look for kidney beans. I find them and there so happens to be a cool recipe on the back of the can of beans. I'm a big time can food eater. I try to keep it to minimum with salt by washing the veggies after I open the can to take away some of the salt and I try to buy low sodium and no salt added when I can. Anyways this one is a keeper that's for sure!

The only thing I took out was the cayenne pepper because I don't like spicy foods but the flavors that remain still make it like mom used to make. Creole and savory! My mom is actually from Louisiana so I grew up with gumbos and Creole food so I had to try this one to see if I could create the same flavors. Think it could use a little tweeking but over it was great

Recipe:
2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
1 large onion chopped
2 stocks of celery chopped
1/2 green pepper chopped
3 garlic cloves chopped
1/2 teaspoon of thyme
1/2 teaspoon of oregano
1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper and several dashing of hot pepper sauce
1 1/2 cup of vegetable broth
3/4 cup cooked rice
1 can of kidney beans
1 bay leaf

I cooked my rice before hand because I prefer the taste of freshly steamed rice rather than pan cooked rice.

Heat up the oil in a large saucepan. Add onion, celery, garlic, and pepper. Saute for about two minutes then add the remaining ingredients. Don't forget the kidney beans. (My dish was almost complete and I notice the most important ingredient was missing!) Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes or until the most of the liquid is absorbed. Remove the bay leaf before serving.

Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment